New £27m Stonehenge visitor centre now open.
Wed 18 Dec 2013 To Thu 18 Dec 2014
Imperial Cars Southampton taking Visitors to the historic site this year will be welcomed at a new visitor building, located 2.1km (1.5 miles) to the west of Stonehenge. For the first time ever at the site, they will be able to learn more about this complex monument in a stunning, museum-quality permanent exhibition curated by English Heritage experts. A 360-degree virtual, immersive experience will let visitors ‘stand in the stones’ before they enter a gallery presenting the facts and theories surrounding the monument through various displays and nearly 300 prehistoric artefacts.
The new visitor building, designed by leading practice Denton Corker Marshall is a low key structure featuring many enhancements over what is on offer now, including:
• an environmentally sensitive and fully accessible building with a high BREEAM rating (the industry standard assessment system for sustainable building design and construction). There are a number of green features such as an open loop ground source heating system, mixed mode ventilation and a treatment system for recycling grey water;
• dedicated education space;
• a bright and spacious café with indoor and outdoor seating for up to 260;
• a bigger shop;
• a visitors carpark with space for 500 vehicles and 30 coaches;
• ample toilets, including disabled toilets;
• a pre-booked timed ticket system to help minimise queues and avoid over-crowdedness at peak times; and
• new, downloadable and hand held free audio guides in 10 languages
Stonehenge will be managed through timed tickets and Imperial Cars Southampton recommend that advance booking is strongly advisable. Online booking opens on 2 December at www.english-heritage.org.uk/stonehenge.